Monday, August 31, 2009

Quiche, it's not just for breakfast anymore

Quiche traces its origins back to the 16th century. It's an open tart filled with a mixture of beaten eggs, dairy and any other ingredients that suite your fancy. My favorite is to add sauteed leeks or onions and crisp bacon. For a super indulgence I add gruyere or good cheddar.

I made quiche for brunch last Sunday and tested 2 different short crust recipes. One from good old James Beard who suggests the addition of an egg mixed with lemon juice and another which completely omits the use of an egg. I found that the crust made without the egg was very dry and crumbly. It wasn't as rich as the dough with the egg. So in the future I will always add an egg to my dough. It does make a difference.

No comments:

Post a Comment